If you need a costly procedure, like a root canal or dental implants in Yuba City, you may be considering Dental Tourism to save you money. In 2013, the Patients Beyond Boarders estimated that more than 500,000 Americans traveled to another country to get the dental care they needed as it can be more affordable. In fact, you can save as much as 70% on health care costs by having treatments performed in Thailand. As a result, it may seem like the perfect solution, but is it safe? If you ask your dentist, they will likely recommend that you stay in the United States to get the care you need because Dental Tourism is risky business.
Skip the Risks of Dental Tourism
The cost of care in a leading concern among Americans who need oral health treatments, like dental implants. As a result, they often look for alternative options that can save money. One of the most common solutions is to travel to another country where services are cheaper. Although it will be less expensive, it could lead to some unexpected complications.
- Lack of Qualifications: While many overseas dentists are properly trained and qualified, many are not. It is not always easy to determine if you are in reputable hands when in another country. As a result, it can lead to serious complications, like botched procedures, infections, and medical emergencies.
- Cheap Materials: Often, the lower prices are due to cheap, damaged, or faulty materials. Many countries do not hold the same safety guidelines for procedures and the materials used. As a result, you could save money on your dental crown, but it may break just a few short months later.
- Infection and Disease: Infections and diseases can spread very quickly in medical and dental facilities. The U.S. has strict protocols in place to prevent this from occurring. Many countries have substandard requirements to prevent the spread of infections and diseases, many of which can be life-threatening.
Make a Wise Decision
While there are risks involved with traveling out of the country, there are many success stories. If you choose not to visit your dentist in Yuba City for your procedure and instead head overseas, it is best to take the time to research the location you are considering. While making your decision, there are some important tips to keep in mind.
- Verify their dental licenses.
- Evaluate the dentist’s information, including schooling, degrees, and accreditations.
- Read reviews and testimonials.
- Evaluate the cost, including travel expenses.
- Purchase additional insurance.
- Don’t travel alone.
Get the Treatment You Need Today
If you need a costly dental treatment, you do not have to travel out of the country to get the care you need. Many dentists offer financing options to help stay within your budget while enhancing your oral health.
About Dr. Ajaipal Sekhon
Dr. Ajaipal Sekhon provides comprehensive dental care to his patients while helping to keep services affordable. If you need a dental treatment, we will work with your insurance company and we accept an array of payment options to stay within your budget. Contact Fit Dental today to learn more.